Thursday, July 12, 2012

Buying market...I hope

I don't know what it is but apparently I have the selling bug. No, it's not a nasty virus. I think after cleaning out all the closets, drawers, nooks and crannies of our house (in this and this post), I feel the need to pair down those items we don't use or don't need to keep.

I'm trying to figure out how to sell some porcelain china that has been passed down to me from my great-grandmother. It's hand painted in Japan and is the Chinese Rose Medallion motif. It's cute but not my colors or style.


I have 15 of these little salad plates plus -
  • 16 dinner plates
  • 12 tea cups
  • 17 saucers
  • small platter
  • medium platter
  • tea kettle
  • creamer
  • sugar
  • container for mustard or tea bags (not sure?)
  • 2 vases
  • 2 serving bowls with lids and
  • 1 large bowl/platter but it has been cracked
So you can see why I have the need to sell - it takes up a lot of room! The bottom of them all have this:



So from what I gathered in my research, they aren't the antique kind which drives down the value. But even still, I don't even know where to start in selling these. I decided I'd Google dealers and appraisers in Columbia. I finally reached someone and he said he'd help me but when I drove out there, I couldn't find the place. Literally all I found was a gas station. Unfortunately, all the other places didn't answer the phone. So back to the Internet. I found this site which allows you to upload photographs and descriptions of your items and pay a small fee to have them appraised. I just sent off all these pictures and hope I can get an idea of what and how to sell them. I'll keep you posted.






As if this undertaking wasn't enough, we also decided to list our house again. Yep, you read that right, we decided to try and sell our house again. We had it on the market last year but we got no hits. I've since learned that the market in our area has improved in the last 6 months, albeit not great. Since everything was recently cleaned and organized, we didn't really have to do anything to get the house ready so we figured what the heck! More on that to come as well.




Next on the list - a yard sale. Our attic is so packed full of "stuff" that we really need to sell a huge majority of it. I need to set a date so it motivates me to set up the advertising and organize it all. Maybe in August...in the meantime, let's hope the china and house sells!

So anyone have any tips or suggestions on how or where to sell china?



No comments:

Post a Comment