Thursday, July 19, 2012

I love all things fabric

Yesterday I was meeting a friend for dinner at 6:30p but I had the itch to get out of the house and be inspired. What better way than to go to the fabric store? Isn't that what most people do or is that only reserved for weird people like me? 

I love going and looking at fabric AKA Fabric Sourcing. It is often the starting point for my design ideas and color schemes. It also inspires me and helps me think outside the box. I'm hoping for a new project soon that will help our church re-fresh the foyers and bathrooms,  so I wanted to get some color ideas that coordinated with what I know we can't change (like teal carpets). I did find some ideas but of course as I'm walking around I can't help but be inspired by so many other fabrics. I thought I'd share some of my favorites. This is going to be a two part post because I found too much for just one. I know that shocks you.

Let's start with Master Bedroom ideas. Specifically I was considering what fabric I could use for a headboard I have in storage. It will need to be recovered but I'm not going to tackle it until we save for a king size mattress. Who knows when that will be. So in the meantime, I like to dream of options. I know orange will need to be a part of the scheme since I seem to always gravitate to that color.

And of course, I found other fabric that I thought was pretty (if only it were in my color scheme). Like these blues and purples accented and grounded by white. These three would make a beautiful, tranquil bedroom color pallet.



bottom fabric: Duralee, Style: Pavo Peacock,  Color# 23,  Price $27/yd

Here's a better close-up of the middle fabric.

middle fabric from above: Duralee, Style: Westminster,  Color: Aquadisioc,  Price $26/yd


Then there was this fabric that I loved the funky colors along with the pattern. I could see this on a headboard or used as curtains. Picture the walls in a pretty taupe color and the bed with bright pillows in teals and limey-yellow. Put a white duvet cover on with a chocolate brown blanket at the bottom and viola - a bright but not too bright bedroom.

Covington, Style: Savannah Peppletex, Color: Surf, Price $16/yd

I LOVED this paisley pattern. It had so many fun bright colors to choose from. You could use it for curtains without color overwhelming the space and your bedding could be any combination of the colors in the pattern. Use a white duvet and have tons of colorful pillows and accents around the room. A pretty light grey on the walls would help everything pop. It would even look cute in a Tween's room or a kid's room. The colors are such that you could pull blues, reds and oranges if it were a boy's room or pinks, greens and raspberry if it were a girl's room.

B. Cheek Inc., Style: Taj , Color #01,  Price $27/yd


Then there were the more traditional patterns and color schemes I always like seeing. Maybe it's because I grew up with blues since my mom and grandmother love the color. This trio would work well together in any combination. The top could be the headboard, the middle could be the curtains and the bottom could be pillows. I also loved the blue/green floral print that could also work in this scheme for curtains or a headboard. I like the idea of mixing traditional with more modern fabrics. Keeps it interesting.



P/K Lifestyles, Style: Ara or Ava (?), Color: Luna, Price $27/yd

 I took a picture of this fabric because it would actually match what I have now...at least I thought. Now that I see it again, I think the colors are right but the pattern just doesn't really flow with the spread I have. I'm starting to think the spread I "had to have" or thought I loved, while I still really like it, isn't as easy to coordinate as I thought it would be.

Robert Allen Home, Style: Vintage Blossom, Color: Citrine; Price $20/yd

I just liked the pattern of this fabric. It's simple yet interesting so it would make fun pillows.


 Now we get to my final two for bedrooms and my favorites. I've mentioned before that I'd like to incorporate more blues into the oranges I have throughout my house. This fabric showed just how pretty they are together. Could totally see this incorporated somewhere in my house when I start to make those changes. (maybe next house...)


Then there was this little gem. I had to restrain myself from buying a few yards of it...who am I kidding, the bolt. I LOVE the oranges but then it also has the grey to help tone it down. It's hard to see in this horrible shot but there is also yellow, dark grey, light ocean blue (like above) to go along with the grey and orange. I see this as a headboard option or maybe even fun curtains. I'm picturing this with a grey neutral wall.  Maybe they will still have it when the time comes for me to make a bed change.


How about you? Does anyone else use fabric for inspiration? Know of any fabric stores that I MUST see?

All of the above fabric was found at Forest Lake Fabrics here in Columbia. I've tried to list the information under each one in case you like something in particular for your own home. I ran out of time so not all are covered. I was literally getting kicked out of the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment