Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Oh ye of little faith...

I'd like to say I have a very strong faith. Difficult experiences have only strengthened it through the years (AKA my 20's) but I find myself from time to time, sometimes more frequently than I care to admit, that it wanes. I was struck by how much so just last week.

As many of you know, our house has been plagued with...well the plague. Or at least it feels that way. Someone(s) in our house has had a cold, bronchitis, sinus infection, fever virus, ear infections and/or stomach virus since just after Thanksgiving. I'm not joking. I can literally count on our hands how many healthy days we've had in the last two months. Just when I thought we were getting on a role - and by that I mean day 5 of health - Cole comes down with a fever. Turns out it was a random "fever virus". I hate when the doctor says "it's just a virus" because that means we can't do anything but let it run it's course. This happened literally the Monday before my parents were supposed to come on Thursday.

I think what bothered me most is that when the kids saw my parents at Christmas, we were all sick (stomach virus) and while we made the most of the trip, it wasn't as fun as a healthy house, especially since 12 out of 16 got it. Plus, they don't get to see them very often, maybe ever few months for a few days. So for us to get this "fever virus" just before their visit really upset me. 

This was about the time I started to cry...pout...stomp my feet...and otherwise have a very mature temper tantrum. You see I had been praying all weekend and even on Monday when he came home with the fever, "Lord, please just let it be his ears again" knowing that those could be treated with an antibiotic and he'd be feeling fine by Thursday...and ear infections aren't contagious. But it wasn't and by Wednesday his fever was over 104 and I was giving Tylenol and Ibuprofen alternating every three hours plus a tepid bath. Not to mention I was just waiting for Charlie to get it.

That's when it hit me. I can't control this situation. It is what it is and I need to be PRAISING God because it could always be worse.  As my friend Lila Anna says "I had to let go and let God". As I processed through this, I posted on Facebook:
 
 Well we had a few days of wellness before yet another random virus has struck our house again. I can count on 2 hands the number of days we've been well since Thanksgiving. Let's hope the fever virus is contained to only one child and it wraps up fast before my parents arrive on Thursday! But despite all this and my poor attitude today, I'm thankful God blesses us in food, a warm house, insurance and money to go to the doctor, ability to work from home and care for my sick ones and so much more. I choose to be positive about my circumstances...starting now.
 
You see, I was fretting over Cole, worried that Charlie was going to get it, and all because I desperately wanted everyone to be happy and healthy for my parent's visit. But there was nothing I could do. So I CHOSE to look accept what God had given me but honestly, I didn't like it, but it at least gave me a better attitude.
 
It wasn't until later that weekend that I realized that God gives us so much grace. I'm even willing to bet that we don't even recognize it many times. Cole's fever broke on Thursday so by Friday morning, he was his full pint size spunky self again. Charlie never got it either. Here I was fretting over not getting the perfect visit and all along God had it planned. I've since apologized to God for my lack of faith and thanked Him for healing Cole and giving my family a great visit. I was also reminded of our family's life verse, Proverbs 3: 5-6:
 
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
 
The entire week reminded me that it's a choice to be joyous, even in tough circumstances, and that God's grace is far greater than I could ever imagine. I'm just blessed to be one of his daughters and that should be enough.
 
If you don't know Jesus in a personal way, meaning more than just "believing God exists", your missing out on so much love and grace.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment