Monday, January 6, 2014

End of Year Random Musings

I'll go ahead and tell you that this post isn't about anything. It's more of a compilation of all the thoughts floating through my head over the last few days.

OK so maybe I should warn you it's probably going to be scary too. It's not always pretty inside my head.

After we returned from our Christmas traveling through North Carolina to visit my family (I owe a post about that by the way), it was nice to come home to our new house. It just feels right. Like we're supposed to be here for a long time. All warm and fuzzy. No seriously, it was fuzzy. There was dog hair and pine needles everywhere. That's what happens when you leave for a week with two furry creatures and an un-watered Christmas tree.

I've seen lots of people posting about when to take down Christmas decorations. I take them down immediately after Christmas. I like to start the New Year off with a clean slate. But I also like to put my decorations out as soon as Thanksgiving is over. I've been known to start busting them out just before Turkey Day. So I still get a long season of decorations in the house. I normally do a lot of purging and cleaning during the take-down process but since we just moved in, that was already done.

Christmas decorations down and put away. Check.

It's been fun watching the kids re-discover their toys while having 6 days at home to play and relax. For New Year's Eve we invited Anna M and her family over for dinner. This house makes me want to entertain. We (the Anna's) stayed in the kitchen gabbing while the kids ran amuck and the hubby's watched football and played with sparklers. Check out 3 of the five cuties enjoying some counter time. (for some reason they love sitting on the kitchen counter and watching the little TV)


I also got a glimpse of what I should be saving money for in the future. Bail. Apparently my oldest (that would be Charlie) is quite the pyro junkie. He got his first taste of sparklers and poppers and it was instant love.




Cole was having a blast too but didn't quite have the same fascination Charlie had. How cute is Cole's expression in this picture?


It's been fun having the time off to spend with family. This Christmas, perhaps more than in the past, has been especially fun, maybe because the joy the kids have is contagious. It's made me that much more appreciative of our little family and the love and joy we have with each other. That has me reflective in a good way.

Speaking of reflections, I've seen lots of posts about resolutions. This is always the time of year people reflect and/or pick one or two things they want to do in the new year. Me? I don't make resolutions. I like to set goals instead. (maybe that's the same thing? I don't know. The word resolutions has a negative/let me break it connotation to me) 

My first goal, which I feel is very doable, is to read the Bible all the way through this year. I've never done that before. Our church gave out a very practical schedule that breaks it up in various chapters. This is probably my most important goal of the year because I know it will have a profound positive affect on me.

I don't know why it's so surprising to me but it seems that this year the news is on steroids with the weight loss/nutrition/fitness coverage. It's a common New Years Resolution for many. I get it. For me, I am trying to ignore most of the media coverage and not focus on a number, a food habit or the quick fix. It's a slippery slope for me. Instead my goal is to become more consistent again in my workouts. I generally do well in this area but have slipped off due to the holiday schedule.

I'm excited about 2014. I really feel like there will be exciting changes in our little family's lives. Some big. Some small. Possible job changes, potty training, new adventures...the list goes on. And it's not just my Poly-Anna attitude. I can feel it in my spirit. I mean who can blame me when you have these three cuties around?




Anyone else looking at 2014 with excitement? Are you a resolution maker?

No comments:

Post a Comment