Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Birds, Down Pillows and Alcohol

I bet I just got you thinking with the title of this post, huh? It sort've feels like a redneck Saturday afternoon. But here, let me explain...

First, not long ago I took the boys to my parents for a week. I worked from there and they got to play. While there I went through a few things that mom didn't want anymore and I fell in love with these birds. 



When I mean fell in love, I really mean I pet them daily. I must have an obsession with birds and bunnies or perhaps animals that start with the letter B. There are four of them so three sit on the dining table (odd numbers are best) and another is in the man room with another set of birds. I truly love them and it's even more special knowing they are from a great-grandmother. 

So that's where the birds come in...

You'll remember from this post that while the majority of the living room re-do was done, I was still missing my new pillows. They finally came in and it really does make a huge difference. Here, take a look...

This is before we had all the new pillows but after the re-do. Good but not great. 


Now look with the prettier pillows. It really makes the couches look higher end (these are from Rooms to Go so by no means expensive). 


It also helped add some additional texture and complimentary patterns to the room. I sometimes hesitate with the mix of modern and contemporary fabrics but in this instance I really liked it because it helped pull in some of the robins egg blue from the dining room. 




So that's where the Down Pillows come in to this post...because all my couch pillows are now down and oh-so-comfortable-yet-georg. 

That leaves the alcohol. 

Another fun find at my mom's were these really pretty, old decanters. Can't you just imagine in the 1940's and 1950's having them set up on a bar with various libations in them, having a fun party with their pretty dresses and suits? The people wore the dresses and suits, not the decanters. That would just be weird.  




While they probably aren't really functional now (some have a haze in them), they are still pretty and match the style of our house (it was built in the 1950's). So I set out to update the side table and make it truly more of a bar (or at least look like one). 

It used to look like this...


It sort've became a catch-all for anything I didn't know what to do with like the candelabra and the vases. Now it has a purpose (or at least looks like it does) Fake it till you make it! 


And here's a little secret, those liquor bottles underneath are not all full. Some are just cool jugs I had on hand that I thought looked good paired together with the rest. I also took a bag of old corks from my parent's and put it in the large glass jar for added decoration.



So there you have it. Birds, down pillows and alcohol are my recent decorating updates. I'm sure there are plenty of others coming but this was inexpensive and easy. Oh and I took down the Fourth of July wreath and put back up my monogram wreath. It also makes me smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment